[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hello

Can anyone give me a very rough estimate on how much time is required on an ongoing basis, after a server is set up with FreeBSD and Apache, to maintain everything. By everything I am referring to everything required to keep the server up, and host about 100 domains. Thank you in advance and I apologize if this question is not appropriate for this list.

Sue

This varies with experience, as an earlier post noted. As much as possible, one should attempt automation of daily chores, addition of domains, mailusers, etc. I certainly be willing to guess that one could spend an hour or more of vigilant inspection and checking on the server system daily, but as mentioned, if your system is fairly "bulletproof" (e.g., your plan takes into account every possible emergency, your automation is tested, retested, retested again, and then tested some more prior to deployment (and well-documented), then you could probably cut that down.

I'd think that the time would really be spent in supporting 100 client's
webmasters when they have issues; communicating with them in the
event you should have to do (un- or) scheduled maintenance, etc.

I'd also estimate that it's not a job for a rookie, per se, unless these
100 clients are very forgiving, patient, and understanding individuals...

On the plus side, know that this is very much a thing that FreeBSD
is good at....

My $.02, YMMV, include #disclaimer.h and all that....

Kevin Kinsey