--On Sunday, April 17, 2005 11:52:36 AM -0400 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Can anyone give me a very rough estimate on how much time is required on an ongoing basis, after a server is set up with FreeBSD and Apache, to maintain everything. By everything I am referring to everything required to keep the server up, and host about 100 domains. Thank you in advance and I apologize if this question is not appropriate for this list.

I'm maintaining a server with three domains, running apache, squirrelmail, postfix, cyrus imap and saslauthd, mailman, djbdns and a perl-based bulletin board, and I probably spend an average of 8 hours a month doing server-admin type stuff.

If you set it up right, the only maintenance you have is running portupgrade and freebsd-update periodically, to ensure your apps don't have known security holes. Make sure you have a good backup system in case a drive fails, and that's about it.

You can write "canary" scripts that monitor processes and attempt to restart them if they fail, and send you email as well. Most of the eight hours is spent reading mail from cron jobs that are monitoring the server. FreeBSD just runs.

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member