Ivan Voras wrote:

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

On the (syscons(4)) console, you can enable screen blanking as a screensaver in its own right. You would load either the "green" or "apm" screen saver (available as kernel modules) and enable it with vidcontrol(1). I don't think you can trigger it by hand.

I tried both (before posting the question) - green_saver just blanks the screen
(doesn't turn it off), and apm_server misbehaves - just 'freezes' the screen without
any other effect. I know turning it off works because, well, it works ok in Windows...

Under X, of course, doing what you want it easy.

Turn the monitor off? How?

Hmm, from XF86Config(5):

Some Option flags that may be useful to include in Monitor sec-
tions (when needed) include "DPMS", and "SyncOnGreen".

Now, I have:

   Option   "DPMS"

         in /etc/X11/XF86Config, and my monitor does what I call "sleeping"
after a period of inactivity, but I can't say how this really coincides with
the current discussion, as I'm jumping in mid-stream and can't even seem
to find Lowell's reply to you anywhere (other than what you quoted).

Hmm, what about acpi(4) ?

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey