From time to time, my torrent filesharing application will crash or need
to be killed. The application is configured to listen on a specific port. If I try to restart the application after improper termination, I receive a fatal error message stating that the port is already in use.

Before restarting the application, I verify that the application did indeed shut down (via 'ps -aux') and 'sockstat -l' shows that no application is using the port in question, so I don't understand how the port could still be 'in use'.

The only way I've found to restart the application after improper termination is to reboot the whole system. Is there something else I could try? Does this kind of thing tend to happen to network applications when they crash or could this be specific to my application?

Luke Dean