> Firstly, by telling the DHCP server to assign a static-IP address to a
> specific system on the network, what sort of DHCP server are you
> speaking of. Are you asking about your ISPs DHCP, a
> Linksys/Dlink/other SOHO DHCP device, or are you attempting to setup
> your own internal DHCP server such as ISC-DHCP for your LAN.

Sorry--my DHCP server is a Linksys router which is supposed to assign an
internal IP address automatically, whenever a computer asks for it.

> Secondly, the quick and easy way to change around things so that sl0
> pulls an IP is to run /stand/sysinstall and reconfigure your Network
> Interfaces.

Umm...how do I do that again? Do I just go to /stand/sysinstall, click on
Index, and click on Network Interfaces? What do I put down for the host and
domain? The host is the computer name, I suppose, but I don't think I assigned
my LAN a domain. I accidentally put something for the domain, and now I can't
erase it because whenever I leave a textbox my computer automatically refills
it with what I wrote earlier. In fact, I can't change any settings because it
will refill itself whenever I try to.

> You could also edit rc.conf manually and set up the sl0
> interface that way, to either pull a static or dynamic IP.

I tried that a minute ago, but it only got me into even deeper trouble. I'm so
careless that I forgot to put a quote, and now my computer wouldn't boot
properly. It only allows me to log on as a single user, and has #  thing
instead of $ or computername:

How do I open a text editor to edit the rc.conf file while I'm not logged in (I
don't think so), and while every command has # in front of it? vi wouldn't
work, and view and ex don't work either. I also have a copy of the original
rc.conf file; how do I dump the data into the current rc.conf file which is
driving me crazy because I made an error in it?

> Is sl0 internal or external? Is the FreeBSD box going to NAT for your
> second computer?

I don't know--I think sl0 is the network card, and if I'm right it's internal.
Also, I'll be 80 when I even dare to think about making FreeBSD NAT for my
other computer. My Linksys router is the NAT router for all my computers.

Tomas Quintero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 4/25/05, Broming plutonium wrote:
> Hello everyone...for the first time.
>
> I have two computers. I very recently installed FreeBSD on my first computer
> because the operating system it used to have, Microsoft Windows, was infected
> by so many viruses that my computer took a million years to open a program.
>
> I've only had 2 days of experience with FreeBSD, so I don't know anything
> about it. How do I connect it to the Internet using Ethernet? My computer
> seemed to be telling me it had three network interfaces. I'm guessing that
> the ones called plip0 and ppp0 are all wrong; sl0 is the right one.
>
> FreeBSD tries to establish an Internet connection on plip0 every time it
> boots. How do I change that to sl0? How do I tell it to "tell DHCP server to
> assign IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on subnet mask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx USING the
> sl0 network interface?
>
> What do I have to do to establish an Internet connection? Any help would be
> >appreciated. Thanks!

Firstly, by telling the DHCP server to assign a static-IP address to a
specific system on the network, what sort of DHCP server are you
speaking of. Are you asking about your ISPs DHCP, a
Linksys/Dlink/other SOHO DHCP device, or are you attempting to setup
your own internal DHCP server such as ISC-DHCP for your LAN.

Secondly, the quick and easy way to change around things so that sl0
pulls an IP is to run /stand/sysinstall and reconfigure your Network
Interfaces. You could also edit rc.conf manually and set up the sl0

--
-Tomas Quintero