i all,

Is there any technical reason why quota support is not included in GENERIC kernel or at least be made a loadable module? I know it's not hard to recompile the kernel but why the hassle of doing that when a module or built-in feature can be included?

I would like to utilize freebsd-update binary patching mechanism for all the boxes I maintain but it only supports GENERIC kernel. I don't have a dedicated build machine and most boxes are located offsite so having a binary update can really help cut down on the tangible and intangible costs.

It is my opinion after using FreeBSD for quite some time that quota is an essential feature that should be part of the GENERIC kernel.

I hope I can get a good explanation for this.