--On Wednesday, May 04, 2005 12:58:39 PM +0200 "Matthias F. Brandstetter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi all,

I have to plan and setup a mail solution for about 50.000 users, here are
some key features requested by our customer:

 - self coded webfrontend w/ webmail and administration (filter, alias
etc)

I'm not sure what you mean by self coded. Squirrelmail is a webmail front end that meets the requirements you've mentioned. There are others as well.

 - 100MB quota per user

I would recommend that you put the mailboxes on a separate partition - perhaps even put var on a separate drive - and you should probably use RAID0 at least.

 - autoresponder
 - about 50.000 user
 - online backup of data

Without knowing if you're local or remote, it's hard to say. I do backups on a remote server using rsync to a local disk and rsync over ssh to a remote disk. The local backups make it easy to restore something in a pinch. The remote backups ensure that I don't lose data if the server crashes and both disks are toast.

- some more featuers for web frontend

Like what?

Since I happily use qmail for some other (but smaller) installations, I want to try it with qmail here for this project as well. My only problem is, I have no clue where to start ... beginning from "should I use 2 redundant and really strong or some more but cheaper servers?" to "which qmail distributions and patches should I use (ldap, mysql, ...)?" and "how to store data (mails) and do online backup w/o downtime?".

Mail servers have a lot of I/O so you should use SCSI disks, if possible. RAID mirroring at least.

I think LDAP would make user admin a lot easier. Mysql would probably help as well, given the number of users.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "store data (mails). If you're using qmail, set up IMAP and the mails are stored in maildir (I think). You can create a virtual user so you don't have to have /home/{uid} for all 50,000 users.

Surely there's a doc on the web that walks you through all of this? No sense in reinventing the wheel.....

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member