Hi,
I'm a newbie to freebsd. I've just installed the AMD64 version (5.4 RC 3) on
my system (Asus A8V Deluxe Motherboard). The install off the CD's went fine,
and I was really happy that Freebsd supports the Promise SATA RAID
controller (currently have to Sata Disks in RAID 1 Mirror configuration).

However, I'm not facing a problem when the system boots. Occasionally, the
system locks up just after the following message:

May  8 19:34:49 cronus kernel: Timecounter "TSC" frequency 1802318528 Hz
quality 800
May  8 19:34:49 cronus kernel: Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec

This doesn't always happen; it typically happens once every 3 reboots.
Initially I thought it was CD-ROM related since usually the following line
loads after the 'Timecounter' ones:

May  8 19:34:49 cronus kernel: acd0: DVDR <NEC DVD RW ND-3520A/1.04> at
ata0-master PIO4

When this happens, the system freezes completely; only a hard reset will
'solve' the problem. In trying to search the archives, I've come across some
other people with the same problem and the issue seems to be ACPI related.
In fact, when I boot Freebsd without ACPI support, this never seems to
happen (although it could be coincidence). I've also added the following
line to /boot/loader.conf:

debug.acpi.disabled="CPU"

This seems to have reduced the problem but not eliminated it completely.
I've also tried using FreeBSD 5.3 (i.e. stable), but this seems to have the
same problem.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? If so how should I go about solving
it?

Should I disable ACPI completely? If so, how should I go about doing this
and how will it affect my system?

Thanks,

Joe