I was wondering if anyone has done performance tests, especially network and disk IO tests on an opteron system, or preferably a dual opteron system, using the 5-CURRENT or similar codebase for both the amd64 release as well as the i386 release. I am wondering how the amd64 codebase compares to the i386 codebase on identical HW. This is for a server type use.

I have a single processor opteron that will be put into use as a firewall[PF]/router/vpn-gateway for a bunch of other internet servers and was wondering whether to go with the amd64 or the i386 versions of FreeBSD. My other opteron (dual) is running i386 version as I had some linux and java needs which at the time I put it into service, was not readily available on amd64 (which may have changed by now).

Thanks
Chad

--- Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC Your Web App and Email hosting provider [EMAIL PROTECTED]