Unless you have a good reason to I wouldn't replace OpenSSH, I'm not aware of any particular functionality that is provided by a different implementation of SSH that is not present in the BSD standard OpenSSH. I wouldn't mess with this unless I was sure I knew why I was doing so.

You can turn off OpenSSH in your /etc/rc.conf file by changing:

sshd_enable="YES"

sshd_enable="NO"

That said it would sound to me like you have a path problem not and SSH problem with your shell. I'm not familiar with ZSH but something like 'echo $PATH' should tell you what paths are being searched when you run commands. Do a 'find / -name "ping"' and compare this with your $PATH list. Some shells don't (by default) include the sbin directories in a normal user's path, FreeBSD installs ping by default in /sbin and a number of other utilities (that in some UNIX/Linux distributions are regular user utilities) are found under /sbin and /usr/sbin.

My advice: ditch your replacement SSH and check your paths, my expectation is that the default port of zsh probably has a sane configuration.

-Gabe

Gabriel M. O'Brien
http://web.quay.net/

Joe Wood wrote:
I recently installed FreeBSD 5.4 on a new server.everything is smooth and
works fine. The other day I installed the non commercial version of SSH2
from ssh.com. I've had shell accounts that used it before and thought it
would be good to have. My first issue is that the normal sshd from openssh
keeps trying to start instead of the new sshd2. When initially installing
freebsd should I have said no to the question about enabling ssh logins?
Secondly is that the majority of zsh's commands do not work when I use the
ssh2 daemon.simple things like ping and top cannot be used because it says
they are not found. Has anyone had this issue or can point me in the
direction to resolve it.

Thanks