Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2005, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Yes, I have...on several hosts. Can you confirm that the setup does not
>> in fact work?
>

> Found the problem line.
> virtdomains: yes
> I do want to have virtual domains, but adding that line changes how I
> need to connect to cyradm "--user cyrus@
 I also am having problems creating users
> cm user.fran@<domain)
>   or
> cm user.fran
>
> Both give
> createmailbox: Permission denied
>
>> I ask this because I suspect the errors noted above may be
>> no cause for concern as they might be referring to authentication
>> method(s) you may not actually want/need.
>

> That seems to have beent he case.

Francisco,

I'm not absolutely certain of this but I thought virtual domain support
on cyrus was rough until 2.2x. I've got at least one box that hosts
multiple domains but it's running 2.2x not 2.1x.

Anyway, it looks like you're trying to use cyradm with a non-admin
account. You must use the __sasl2 account__ that you specify in your
imapd.conf under "admin". Standard recommendations are to create a
separate account within the cyrus-sasl2 framework specifically for this
purpose with no mailbox nor OS-level access (so forget "root" and the
"cyrus" account). Then you type this for access on the same machine:

cyradm -u <admin user> localhost

If it works correctly you should get a shell prompt with the hostname,
something like this:

localhost.[yourdomain]>

If it doesn't work and the connect to the cyradm shell fails for
whatever reason, you'll see this instead:

cyradm>

Remember that when you add the accounts to sasl2 via the saslpasswd2
script you have the option of making the account "native" or "vhosted"
simply based on whether you add an "@domain" suffix to the user id when
you create it. Note that I'm referring to sasl2 accounts at this point.

For example,

saslpasswd2 -c userid

This will create a "native" user account that is internally represented
in sasldb2 as [EMAIL PROTECTED] These accounts will be just
"user.userid". When logging on, these users can just use their userid bare.

But vhosted users are created thus:

saslpasswd2 -c [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This will create a "vhosted" user account that is internally represented
as [EMAIL PROTECTED] These mailboxes will be accessed with
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" within cyradm. When logging on, the user must use
the FULL [EMAIL PROTECTED] syntax.

I hope that this explanation helps and I'm managing to express myself
clearly here (haven't had my morning coffee yet, so who knows? :) )

If you have the chance (and haven't already) check out the Cyrus-Twiki
site which has some useful information on cyrus administration that
isn't found on the main site:

http://acs-wiki.andrew.cmu.edu/twiki/bin/view/Cyrus/