On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 09:27:32PM -0700, Tina Neil wrote:
> I want to use FreeBSD for our robotics club.  I am a programmer so
> what i want to know is what would be better for us to use Windows XP
> or FreeBSD. For the most part we want to go with FreeBSD. Also the
> text scares some members so what would be better for us to use KDE or
> gnome.  What would you suggest for us to compile with on freebsd.  i
> want to use C++. would bloodshed c++ run on FreeBSD.

For future reference, please wrap your line length to 72 characters.

Onto the FreeBSD side of things.  If you are doing robotics, you will be
using the parallel interface or the seriald interface a lot for
transfering programs/commands to the robot.  From this side alone, I
would say go with FreeBSD.  Hardware programming in windows is a
*BITCH*, and with FreeBSD/Linux (which is also an option) it is much
easier, just fopen("/dev/parallel-port-device"); basically.

You have gcc at your disposal, which contains implementations of C and
C++.  However, if you are going to compile stuff for a microprocessor,
you will probably want to find the compiler for that microprocessor.

Hope this helps

-John