Hello,

After an unfortunate sequence of events, my newly successfully upgraded FreeBSD 4.7
machine would not boot anymore and gave me a "boot:" prompt. Returning
to the install CD disklabel program, I saw that the only partition it
seemed be to finding was the swap partition.

I recreated and wrote to disk what I thought was the old disk
partitioning scheme (being careful not to newfs anything). After that,
the system would boot off the drive, but would not mount /usr, /var or
/tmp due to complains of "bad super block: magic number wrong". I
suspect that I guess my partition sizes wrong.

My questions are: Does this seem like a recoverable situation? If so,
how I can restore a correct partition scheme? I have a backup of an old
and valid "/etc" directory. (However, without /usr I don't seem to have
enough tools to run "tar" to get at it, or use "fdformat" to create a
fixit floppy at this point).

Thanks!

And for the curious, here's how I managed to get into this situation:
After I upgraded the OS, I tried to use "sysinstall" to upgrade bash. I
think the trouble was, I using bash to run sysinstall, so it failed. I
then used "vipw" to upgrade the root shell to something else, but after
logging out and back in, I got errors that "couldn't find
/usr/local/bin/bash", so I couldn't log into the machine anymore. So
then I tried installing bash from the install CD. It didn't seem to be
made for this, because machine would consistently reboot in the middle
of this install. At some point in debugging this problem, I may have
tried to mount the drive using the installer's disklabel problem.
Probabbly somewhere been that and the unexpected crashes I lost the
partition map on the disk.

   -mark

http://mark.stosberg.com/