On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Conrad Sabatier wrote:

> Ok, now on to my question: I'd like to do a full backup on each of my
> filesystems, zap all the partitions and do a new fdisk/disklabel with more
> filesystems than I'm currently using.  For example, create a new /home
> partition instead of using a symlink in / to /usr/home.
>
> I'm just wondering if this will present any problems when restoring from
> backups.  I can't seem to glean this information from the man pages.

Conrad,

I did something similar once. I added a new disk that I wanted to
replace my primary disk, but I wanted the partitioning  a little
different, like you did. It worked fine for me, copying over one
partition at a time using "cpio". I imagine then it will work in
your case as well. If you are interested to know about the process I
used, you could browse the "disks" section on freebsddiary.org which was
the basic for my methodology.

   -mark

http://mark.stosberg.com/