From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Wed Jun  8 23:33:11 2005
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:31:30 -0500 (CDT)
From: Denny White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Bob Bomar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: cvs question

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Bob Bomar wrote:

Denny White wrote:

| I appreciate the answer. I'm kind of up
| against the wall with this thing. Can't
| seem to get it. I created /usr/local/ncvs,
| setenv CVSROOT /usr/local/ncvs & tried to
| do what I thought would be simpler & a good
| trial run on something simpler than the
| whole source tree. I did a cvsup on www &
| got it okay. Then I went into /usr/local/www
| & did a make install. It started filling up
| /root with public_html & finally stopped on
| an error, saying the CVSROOT environment
| setting was invalid. What am I doing wrong?
|

| On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Bob Bomar wrote:
|
|> Denny White wrote:
|> |
|> |
|> | I know before asking this has been
|> | covered profusely, and I have read
|> | a lot in the handbook, man pages,
|> | fbsd web site & mailing list archives.
|> | But, there are some things I just do
|> | not understand. My main question is,
|> | is it okay to change
|> | /home/ncvs
|> | /usr/ncvs
|> | I ask because of the repository size
|> | compared to what I have on this box
|> | on /home & /usr.
|> |
|> | Filesystem       Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
|> | /dev/amrd0s1e    1.9G    277M    1.5G    15%    /home
|> |
|> | Filesystem       Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
|> | /dev/amrd0s1g     11G    2.3G    7.7G    23%    /usr
|> |
|> | So you can see why I want to use /usr/ncvs
|> | instead of /home/ncvs. I guess I'm a lousy
|> | googler, but I just couldn't seem to phrase
|> | my question to find the answer I wanted.
|>
|> You can change it to what ever you want.
|> I have /usr/local/cvs/ and then various repositories
|> for different projects.

|> |
|> | My 2nd question is, when you cvsup an individual
|> | release, it says not to include ports-all and
|> | doc-all, as you will wipe out what you already
|> | have. But, when you don't specify an individual
|> | release, just *default release=cvs and src-all,
|> | if you specify ports-all & doc-all, you won't
|> | wipe out what you already have. Am I understanding
|> | it correctly?
|> | Thanks in advance for your patience & any help
|> | & explanations I receive.
|> |
|> |

|> You want to cvsup ports-all with tag=. since
|> the ports dont change with each relase, just the src.

I think I may be a little confused.

Are you trying to setup a cvsup mirror?  If so, then
look at net/cvsup-mirror.  That will setup a mirror
for you, and it will ask where you want to store the
data.

If you are just wanting to pull the src tree, then
you can use anon cvs and something like:

% cd /usr/local/ncvs
% setenv CVSROOT :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/ncvs
% cvs login
% cvs co -rRELENG_5 src
... wait for everything to transfer ...
% cvs logout

CVSROOT is where the repository resides.  I.E. in the
example above, the repository is located at
anoncvs.FreeBSD.org in /home/ncvs.

--
Bob Bomar
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks so much for the help. I really wasn't considering
a mirror. Getting ready to do an install on an old laptop
& an extra PIII my son left here. Since I've already got
NFS working, thought I'd use that for the other boxes to
pull from. Really still way too much of a greenhorn for
mirrors. Maybe eventually I'll try it. Thanks again for
the help.

Hi Bob,
I have no idea how that happened. I think there was a
glitch or operator error in pine's gpg filters.
Thanks for replying again. I got to thinking, after
reading some of the stuff in the cvs & stable mailing
list, that there could be just a messup in the make code.
I pulled the entire src tree along with docs, ports, &
www again. This time, it all makes fine. But, regardless
of where I put the files as in

cd /usr
cvs -d /usr/local/ncvs co www

and the subdir www is created & all the files for
www are put there, when I do a make install, it
still insists on putting the files in root's dir,
& I just don't have enough room on that partition.
I even did a cd into /usr/www/en & did make install.
It still insisted on installing all the translations,
not just english, & of course, all of it into /root.
Basically, I just want to keep a fresh copy of the
english stuff on this box for me & my kids, who are
becoming interested in windows alternatives, esp
fbsd, since I've gotten involved again with it.
If you can maybe point me in the right direction as
to a switch, argument, option, etc., that I can use
with the make install command, I'd appreciate it.
Otherwise, I'll probably have to abandon the idea
for now. More important stuff for me to learn, like
choosing the right branch/release, upgrading my
system, merging /etc, & so forth. Thanks again for
the help you've given.
Denny White