On 6/10/2005 10:25 PM Kevin Kinsey wrote:

Drew Tomlinson wrote:

I am a total noob regarding MySQL. I have version 3.23 installed on my 4.10 system. The only thing it's been used for and by is Bacula. I have never used it directly.

But now I have reason to learn MySQL and feel it would be appropriate to start with a newer version. I see there's 4.1 and 5.0. Even though it's beta, I'm inclined to just start with 5.0 since my data will not be super critical and quite small. Basically I want t make a product database and display it via web pages. There are less than 10,000 products. I also don't see more than 2 or 3 clients accessing it at one time. Maybe in an extreme case there might be 10 clients. Overall, pretty small.

So what must I do to upgrade from 3.23 to something newer and keep Bacula happy. I've read the Bacula web site and it claims to work with 3.23 and higher. I've browsed the MySQL site and see instructions to upgrade from 3.23 to 4.0, 4.0 to 4.1, and upgrading to 5.0. However I'm sure I don't really need to upgrade in steps?

Any guidance, advice, and/or links to tutorials would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Drew

I like mysqldump for easy to recreate backups:

$ mysqldump sometable > sometable.sql

To restore, you need to add a statement to the top
of the file, like "use sometable".  Then:

$ mysqladmin create cometable

and, finally:

$mysql < sometable.sql

And everything should be "good to go".

Thanks for the tip.  It gives me somewhere to start.

Sorry I'm not much more help.  I use portupgrade and/or portmanager
to keep things somewhat "up to date", but I don't know if there would
be any "gotchas" with that and Bacula or not.  I'd tend to think that as
long as I had all my databases backed up, I could uninstall 323 and
install something from the 4X or 5X line and not have too many issues.

Me too. portupgrade is a great tool. I agree that if I have the databases backed up, I should be able to restore. This is just my home system so if the worst happened and I lost my complete bacula database, it still wouldn't be the end of the world (unless my hard drive crashed before I got bacula running again).

You might want to learn a little about using the MySQL monitor itself,
first, in 3.23; a little knowledge of MySQL syntax would add to your
confidence in restoring the data, I would think . . .

I've fiddled around with MySQL a little so far. Webmin provides an easy interface to administering MySQL users, databases, etc. and that has been very helpful. Now I just have to learn what "real" commands Webmin calls when performing these functions. I suspect it uses mysqladmin.

Thanks for your reply,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse