On Jun 14, 2005, at 11:51 AM, D. Goss wrote:

On Jun 14, 2005, at 8:48 AM, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

think twice before making RAID-5 array. are you sure small writes will not be too common?

No, you are on to something - I will be making small writes / parity calculations. This is going to be a web server but it is for clients and they do have sites running with SQL backends and not just static HTML content.

i think buying 4 80GB FAST IDE/SATA drives and arranging it as RAID-10 will give you 160GB of FAST and protected storage. performance gain using mirror+strip will likely offset this of using faster 15k rpm drives.

and it will be for sure cheaper. you may put 6 drives (RAID-10) and even larger drives and still have cheaper alternative and even faster. and MUCH more space.

Sure, it will be cheaper. For me it's too late, I've purchased the 4 x SCSI 15k drives I need for this project. I have bought mostly unopened, in-box but secondhand IBM drives/sleds. They are still expensive but certainly not the (what I consider) insane prices for the same drives IBM direct. I'm paying around 1/3 of "list".

The SCSI disks will certainly last longer. If you can do the RAID 1 +0 with the SCSI you will probably be that much further ahead...

Chad