On Jun 14, 2005, at 4:46 PM, Joseph Koenig (jWeb) wrote:

I'm guessing that opening the port is part of what placing
"postgresql_enable=YES" in the rc.conf file does, correct? If so, that's probably the problem as I have not rebooted since adding that. Is there a
way to safely force that to run without rebooting? There is a hardware
firewall in front of the server that I have ensured is allowing that port
through. Thanks,

Joe Koenig
Production Manager
jWeb New Media Design
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.jwebmedia.com/
636.928.3162

!DSPAM:42af4251253444259514897!

Hi Joe,

You can confirm whether or not port 5432 is opened by typing "netstat -na | grep 5432" on your database server.

You should not have to reboot for the port to be opened. When PostgreSQL starts, (either by starting it manually, or then the machine boots) it will open the port.

IIt definitely sounds like the firewall could be your problem. I'd try connecting to the database server's port 5432 via telnet from an outside location, so that your packets have to pass thru the firewall in question.

Thanks,

Ken Ebling
Ideal Internet, Inc.
561-963-4501