JM wrote:

i'm not exactly sure how to accomplish this... i'm having problems with my cd-rom, which isn't surprising since it's a slim-line without UDMA and probably isn't supported... but... it's eating up time when i'm booting the system. i've erased the fstab lines for acd0 but it's still probing the hardware when i boot the machine.

Please show the point where it takes time. You have a log in /var/run/dmesg.boot

how do i completely disable probing for this device at startup?

As far as I know this is not possible (I might be mistaken). Either you remove the hardware or the support for this piece of hardware.

if possible i'd like to just remove the device node altogether. every time i remove /dev/acd0 it's just recreated each time i restart.

devfs provides a kind of virtual file system which will be created in respect of the devices that are known to the kernel. Everytime you unmount devfs all changes that were directly made to /dev are gone.

not sure how to permanently remove it without physically removing it from the system. is there anyway to remove the node without removing the iso9660 entry from the kernel?

The 'CD9660' option in the kernel configuration is a file system support and has nothing necessarily to do with support of hardware devices. I guess you mean 'device atapicd'.

Björn