Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
I am trying to modify the da0s1 slices on a harddisk under 5.4 using /usr/sbin/sysinstall. I delete an existing slice and create two new ones in the old freed space. When writing the changes I get:

ERROR: Unable to write data to disk da0!

Partitions (slices) will be written to the first sector of the hard disk which is called the MBR as you probably know. FreeBSD has a mechanism to prevent that you overwrite, change or destroy your MBR accidentally. You need to run

  sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16

to deactivate this mechanism temprorarily. Another way would be to boot from a Live CD, e.g. disc1 (disc2 for 5.3 and older) and then make the changes.

Björn