[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi all. I'm looking to make a non-privileged user the owner of all my
software so I don't have to act as root when installing, configuring, and
updating software. Furthermore, I won't have to give out the root password
to others who need rights to configure software. I noticed my ports
collection is entirely owned by root and requires root to install. Is there
a way to install ports as a non-root user or allow non-root users to install
ports?

You can checkout the ports collection as a normal user (via CVS or CVSup, or copy or chown a /usr/ports owned by root). You will need to set $PORTSDIR appropriately, and you can also set $LOCALBASE to point to a place owned by the user where the ports should be installed to.

However, a fair number of important ports require root access to create users or setuid binaries, and some ports have bugs when the paths are changed from the defaults, so be prepared for problems.

--
-Chuck