From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Issue N77189] QT4 Open Source compliance...
To: Chuck Swiger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[ ... ]
If one were to write your own program, and use it with QT in a fashion
which results in a derivative work, then one may not redistribute the
program without complying with the terms of the GPL.

Exactly. Deriving from Qt and QSA is all you do when you use it.

However, nothing in the GPL requires someone else's code to be
relicensed under the GPL, it simply requires that code to be under a
GPL-miscable license. For instance, the "new" BSDL (ie, without the
advertizing clause) is fine, as is the MIT/X11 license and others.

We don't require this either:

Make the complete source code of your program available to all end
users  Allow all users to re-use, modify and re-distribute the code
Give up your right to demand compensation for re-use and
re-distribution  Add a notice to your program that it is GPL licensed
when it runs

When you have end users, then you obviously redistributed it. Since the
GPL is viral, you have to license under the GPL or a compatible license
(which is what we mean when we says "GPL licensed").

[ ... ]