Simon wrote:

Just because there is no monitoring tool available due to lack of support,
doesn't
mean the card itself is bad.
You wouldn't be saying that if you had had one of your RAIDed drives fail and had no indication whatsoever that it had done so. IMHO, OS level monitoring of a RAID is vital.

The sad fact is most manufacturers don't receive enough FreeBSD demand to
support it :-( I wish and keep waiting for this to change one day. I would be
very
happy then, but until then...
The sad fact is that most manufacturers are not prepared to release enough information about their boards for a native CLI to be written. Even a source code Linux driver would significantly aid a FreeBSD version, but most manufacturer's prefer to keep their dirty secrets hidden.

--Alex