On Jul 3, 2005, at 2:22 PM, markzero wrote:

(WW) The NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro GPU installed in
(WW)      this system is supported through the NVIDIA Legacy
(WW)      drivers. Please visit
(WW)      http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
(WW)      information.  The 1.0-7667 NVIDIA driver will ignore this
(WW)      GPU.  Continuing probe... (EE) No devices detected.

The NVIDIA Legacy drivers magically fail to exist on the NVIDIA
site and there appears no be no port for them either.

I was exploring the latest nvidia driver and came across this page.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd_archive.html
Isn't 7174 or 6113 the legacy driver you are after?

--Alex

Well, yes they are the older drivers that would work, but the above
message gave me the impression that NVIDIA were going to be maintaining
a seperate set of legacy drivers.

Not that it really matters now, the nv driver seems to be more solid
and allows me to run my monitor at the resolution I'm actually supposed to be able to run it at (the proprietary drivers had a long unfixed bug
that limited my maximum resolution). I get no apparent performance
decrease on glxgears either (which is about the limit of my GL usage
nowadays!).
glxgears works for you with the nv driver? I cannot get it to work for me (I have a RIVA TNT as opposed to your RIVA TNT 2). Could you post your xorg.conf? I have the line Load "glx" in the "Module" Section. Perhaps the nv driver works much better than for the TNT 2 as opposed to the TNT? Thank you for your help and thank you to the whole list for the support and replies.

Cheers,

pgp: http://www.darklogik.org/pub/pgp/pgp.txt
B776 43DC 8A5D EAF9 2126 9A67 A7DA 390F DEFF 9dD1