[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm a CS student, and this previous semester I took a unix class where our
teacher gave us some code for an assignment, with the goal being to compile and
install it.  The jist of it was the program created a device in /dev called
voice, which would "speak" whatever was written to it using festival. I
thought this was kinda spiffy, and tried to install it on my system at home,
freebsd 5.3.  The program tries to write to /dev, and because 5.3
uses devfs, /dev is read only, so it obviously fails. I thought that maybe using
mknod would allow me to create a device, but the man page for mknod states that
it can "be used to recreate deleted device nodes under a devfs(5) mount point by
invoking it using dummy arguments", but that doesn't really help me here as the
device node never existed in the first place.
You can make device node or fifo not in /dev but in any other directory (for example in /tmp) and change path in your file.