Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
On Friday, 29 July 2005 at 22:50:13 -0700, Carl Delsey wrote:
I was trying to use growisofs to write to a DVD-RAM and it kept
seg faulting. It worked fine with a DVD-R.

I tracked the problem down to place in the code where growisofs
tries to perform an operation on a file handle it has already
closed.

I've implemented a workaround already. The problem is, that by my
reckoning, this should affect anybody who is trying to use a DVD-RAM
(not DVD+RW) with FreeBSD, but I haven't found any references to the
problem on the net.

My guess is that DVD-RAM isn't popular enough, and that people who
have had problems with it haven't had the understanding to track the
bug down.

dvd+rw-tools doesn't support -RAM as well as other formats, in part because the {+,-}R(W) formats are much more common, in part because there are some pretty serious quirks in the older drives, but improvements would be welcome.

I'm wondering if anybody else has seen this problem, and if you've
found some other workaround for it? Or alternatively, you still have
the problem and my patch would be useful to you. :-)

Is this a workaround or a fix?  The latter is obviously preferable.
Also, does this only affect FreeBSD, or is it general?  In the former
case, contact the maintainer (mail address in the Makefile); in the
latter, contact the project.

-Chuck