On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:03:56 +0800, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Has anyone any experience trying to make FreeBSD an Active Directory
Server? From my research and experiementation, I am under the impression
that it is possible, but I have yet to come up with any articles where it
has actual been done fully.

At the minute I have samba and ldap setup, the active directory dns
entries in (_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.{domain}). I am getting an error message
when trying to join my XP client to the domain - I think it is to do with
the ldap server. Any clues or points in the right direction would be
helpful - I am getting the impression that this may be a big project, if
it is even achieveable.

Cheers,
Martin

Samba has experimental components which support ADS, but not fully. See http://www.samba.org/ and the Official Samba Howto.

In my experience it isn't currently capable to have FreeBSD run as a fully functioning ADS server.

If you absolutely need ADS you may simply need to have a Windows server.

If you need Windows Domain logons and ACLs etc... Samba+LDAP works beautifully, I have this implemented at my work, the only reference I needed was the Official Samba Howto. Using LDAP Account Manager also helps :) There are no problems with machines connecting to the domains, or domain logons, user profiles, or ACL's.

Daniel