On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 04:43:37PM +0530, Subhro wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> One of my clients had asked me to provide a router. I was planning to
> use an old P1 boxs to make the router. The requirements state that it is
> for the purpose of internet ? vlan communication. The router must have
> features like encapsulation , creating sub interfaces , enabling port
> trunking (802.1Q) etc. Is it possible?

Have a look at quagga (/usr/ports/net/quagga):
Quagga is a routing software suite, providing implementations of
OSPFv2, OSPFv3, RIP v1 and v2, RIPv3, BGPv4 and experemental ISIS
for Unix platforms, particularly FreeBSD and Linux and also NetBSD,
to mention a few. Quagga is a fork of GNU Zebra which was developed
by KunihiroIshiguro. The Quagga tree aims to build a more involved
community around Quagga than the current centralised model of GNU Zebra.

--
John Oxley
Systems Administrator
E-Mail:  john at yoafrica.com