On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 02:22:14PM -0700, Wil Hatfield - HyperConX wrote:
> First, greetings to the group and nice to meet everyone's acquaintance.
>
> We are getting ready to make a big leap to Dual 64bit Xeon machines
> (SuperMicro) and FreeBSD 5.4. We would really have like to stick with 4.11
> but from what I am gathering it certainly doesn't support the 64bit
> processors.
>
> Now on to my questions:

You should subscribe to the freebsd-amd64 list.

> Can anyone share any of their experiences that I may also encounter?

Both 5.3 and 5.4-STABLE have been running fine on my Athlon64
uniprocessor.

Hardware:
Athlon64 3400+ (2.4 GHz, 400 MHz FSB)
MSI Neo FSR (MSI-6702) [VIA chipset]
2x512 MB PC3200U-2533 RAM

Nforce3 and 4 chipsets seem to have some problems, see the mailing list
archives. Same goes for the ehci driver.

> How can I make the most out of SMP and the dual 64bits?

Run apps that are multi-process or multi-threaded. :-)

> Any undocumented or hard to find settings that I should know about?

Some mobos had problems with ACPI on 5.3. For those mobos it has to be
disabled. This might be solved with 5.4.

If you're transplanting a make.conf from a machine with another
architecture, remove any --march options from CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS.

Same goes for the 'machine' and 'cpu' lines in your kernel
configuration if you copy that from a machine with another architecture.

FAST_IPSEC is seems to be b0rken on amd64.

Look at the open problem reports for amd64.

> Are there any commonly used applications that won't run on this system?

All apps that I use for common desktop use are fine. Emacs, Firefox,
mutt, etc.

To find a list of all the ports that are b0rken on amd64 try the following:

  cd /usr/ports
  find . -name Makefile | xargs grep -H "BROKEN.*amd64"|sed 's|/Makefile.*||'

If a port is marked BROKEN on amd64, it could just be that it wasn't
tested on it, or a previous version was broken. Try removing the "BROKEN" line
and see where the build fails. Sometimes the fix is trivial.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt