On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 04:47:39PM +0100, Joan Picanyol i Puig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some trouble understanding the last part of 'man dump', from "An
> efficient method of...". My understanding is that the example means:
>
> 1. Take a level 0 dump once a month
> 2. Take a level 1 dump once a week
> 3. Take a level 3 dump on mondays, a level 2 on tuesdays, a level 5 on
> wednesdays and so on until a level 9 on sundays.
>
> Am I missing something? What's so "efficient" from doing it this way
> (why)?

It's a compromise between minimising the number of tapes required to
restore the system to the state it was in on any particular date ---
clearly just taking a level 0 dump every day means you only have to
restore from one tape set --- and getting the most data possible onto
a limited number of backup tapes --- best economy is achieved by doing
a full level 0 backup once, and then each day just doing an
incremental backup of what changed since the previous day: however
leave too long between level 0 dumps and you're likely going to have a
real chore wading through a mountain of tapes to get back to any
particular state.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                      Savill Way