Looks like it is the right program. But it does not work. I have ide-scsi emulation enabled on my CDRW drive, so it is named /dev/cd0. I have a blank disc in the drive (created with "cdrecord speed=4 -v blank=fast").
Here are the results:
<snip>
Formatting.... (please be patient (+/- 10 minutes)) ...SCSI command error on /dev/cd0: Status=0x8c
Sense data: Key=0x0 () Code=0x0 Qual=0x0
format unit returned : Bad address
fail
Formatting failed because of : Bad address
Disc access statistics
      sector reads          0  (0 Kbyte)
      sector written        0  (0 Kbyte)
      switches              0

When I try it with my -ide-scsi emulation setup I get the same error,
but different sense data:

Formatting.... (please be patient (+/- 10 minutes)) ...SCSI command error on /dev/cd1: Status=0x8c
Sense data: Key=0x6 () Code=0x29 Qual=0x0
format unit returned : Bad address

I've looked at the source for cdrw_format, but couldn't find anything
obviously wrong with it.
I wonder why there is no documentation for this program? Probably there are human beings using it but probably they are very special persons with special knowledge. I could not find useful postings about this topic (CDRW and packet writing) in mailing lists. Very sad. :-( I'm totally lost.

 Les