----- Original Message -----
From: "J. Seth Henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 5:59 PM
Subject: APC 350AV

> Mark,
> I saw your post on freebsd-questions, and I should point out that you can
> get the RJ45 -> DB9 adapter for free from APC. It took about two months
> for some reason, but you might be able to speed that along if you give
> them a call. You should have gotten a card with the unit, which entitles
> you to a free cable (I did).
>
> Unfortunately, I haven't used the cable yet - so I don't know how it works
> with existing software. I went ahead and took the plunge and got a
> SmartUPS 750XL, replacing separate UPS' for my server and network gear.
> The 350 was moved to support a windows box, which uses USB.
>
> The 350AV isn't a true "dumb" UPS, as it can send status information via
> USB (battery capacity) - so it's possible that the serial adapter will
> provide something between basic signalling and a true smart interface.
> I'll have to check this out sometime - might be interesting.
>
> Good luck,
> Seth Henry

Thanks for your attentiveness. :)

I did indeed give APC a call. I explained to them that the USB cable that
came with it does me no good on FreeBSD, and they said they would send me a
free cable, no problem. :) Their help-desk is located in Ireland; so that
might have accounted for the delay in shipping, in your case; but since I am
in the Netherlands, I hope it will be a matter of days. All-in-all, I was
pretty impressed with their cooperation. Though I think it were better if
they just shipped their units off with serial cables to begin with. But in a
Windoze world, USB is to be expected.

The UPS does not really need to be smart, as far as I am concerned. All I
want is for apcupsd to invoke a regular shutdown in case of a power-outage
that takes longer than, say, a minute (my idea is: if the power is not back
on after one minute, it will likely not be on within the next ten minutes,
either).

P.S. I believe the apcupsd manual calls the 350AV a "SubSmart" device; which
would be what you say: it can do basic signaling, and a bit extra.

Thanks!

- Mark