----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Schulte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Andrew Stesin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 6:40 PM
Subject: Re: Q: FreeBSD 4.6.* on Intel D845EBT MB (Promise PDC2067 IDERAID)

> > Especially interesting is how an onboard Promise PDC2067 IDE RAID
> > controller works with FreeBSD - or better to say, does it work at all?
> > What are the caveates with it, if any? How RAID configuration works?
>
> I had the same question (on 4.7) regarding the pdc20267. There were no
> formal replies, so I asked Andrew privately. His response is below,
> printed with permission, in case others search the archives for this
> answer:

Mine is not a formal reply either, of course. :) But I can personally vouch
for the proper functionality of the PDC2067 RAID (on 4.7R). It is on my ASUS
A7V333 board, and FreeBSD gave no problems whatsoever. I installed a RAID 1,
and I could readily install and boot from it, and everything has been
running smoothly ever since.

The only "problem" I have, is that I have not been able yet to figure out a
way to query the status of each individual, physical drive. But that is, of
course, not a controller problem, but a software one. For Windoze they come
with all kinds of cute utilities, but those are sadly absent for UNIX
systems. I am still looking for a proper snmp agent; but, like I said, that
has nothing to do with the functionality of the PDC2067.

Having done a wee research before I bought the board, I saw that Linux had
quite a bit of trouble with it. But FreeBSD handles everything perfectly.

- Mark