On 15/08/2005, at 11:04 AM, jon freddy wrote:

When I get my new computer and I am going to run
FreeBSD, also, I want to still run the browser
Firefox. But if you go to Firefox's website it also
lists other OS, but not FreeBSD. But I see that a lot
of my friends that run FreeBSD use firefox. Would I
install the Linux package because it is also a Unix System?

The systems you see on the firefox website are just binary packages they have made for various systems. It is actually better to compile the source yourself on your own system in a lot of cases, since you can specify optimizations that they probably didn't put into their binary packages so as to make them work on lots of systems..

Just about every single application you ever want to use can be found in the ports collection, which if installed is found in /usr/ports by default.. The very lastest build of firefox may not be in a port yet (is it?) in which case if you really want it you can just download the source from their website and compile it (they probably have instructions on how to do this but generally it is just a matter of decompressing the archive and running 'configure' then 'make install' in the base directory of the
archive).

The linux binary package possibly will also work if you have installed the linux compatibility stuff and have the module loaded, but it is better to use native where
possible!