On 2005-08-23 09:47, Dmitry Mityugov wrote:
On 8/20/05, Giorgos Keramidas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[Writing about the need for a firewall.]
It takes about 4-5 seconds when I connect with my dialup account
from home and then incoming connections start coming from spyware,
trojans and misc. other scanners :-)

But it is possible to set up ppp to reject all incoming requests
(with nat deny_incoming set to yes IIRC). After that, the machine
will be "invisible" to the outside world, even if no firewalls
are configured on it. At least Shields Up! service located at
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 will tell you so.

That's cool!  I haven't used it, but it sounds very useful at least
as a preliminary aid until a _real_ packet filter is available :-)