Have been learning FreeBSD since version 2.2.6, not a newbie but not an expert. Have been able to install and upgrade software and OS from source and ports previously

OS version: 4.4 Release
Sendmail: 8.11.6

I have learning Sendmail for about a year using 8..11.6. Had no problems setting up, etc.

Wanted, or thought I should upgrade to 8.12.6 to try and learn about implement milter stuff.

1. CVSUP'd Sendmail 8.12.6 port a few days ago.

2. ran make in /usr/ports/mail/sendmail

3. read and followed the INSTALL instructions and associated README files.

When I rebooted by system, 8.11.6 was still running.

I can run 8.12.6 manually.

Where I am confused:

8.11.6 install was

sendmail executable in /usr/libexec/sendmail/
usr/sbin/sendmail was pointer to /usr/sbin/mailwrapper
mailer.conf pointed to /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail
rc.conf reflected 8.11.6 flags, etc

after 8.12.6 install complete

sendmail executable in /usr/local/sbin/

Is 4.4R too old to use 8.12.6 port?

Is port install supposed to update rc.conf?

Is port install supposed to utilize mailwrapper.

Are install directories different now? , I searched and could not find answer.

Have I missed a document or step? or maybe my lack of understanding.

In desperation I tried std port install instructions:

Make in /usr/ports/mail/sendmail

Make install in /usr/ports/mail/sendmail

Received the following:

===> Installing for sendmail-8.12.6_1
if ! pw groupshow smmsp; then pw groupadd smmsp -g 25; fi
smmsp:*:25:
if ! pw usershow smmsp; then pw useradd smmsp -g smmsp -u 25 -h - -d /nonexiste
nt -s /nonexistent -c "Sendmail Queue"; fi
smmsp:*:25:25::0:0:Sendmail Queue:/nonexistent:/nonexistent
@dirrm share/sendmail: not found
*** Error code 127

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/sendmail.
*** Error code 1