Hi all,

I'm trying to put FreeBSD on an older machine, that currently has Linux
installed. It is a 1 GHz Athlon with a Via KT266 chipset. The disk
controller is a VIA 8233.

The problem is that FreeBSD does not find the harddisk when booting from
the install CD. The boot loader does, though. This happens both with
5.4-RELEASE and 6.0-beta1.

Going to a fixit shell and doing a 'atacontrol list' gives no devices on
the channel the harddisk is on. I've tried 'atacontrol reinit 0', but no
luck. I can't get the kernel to recognize the disk.

If I boot from the harddisk, Linux loads just fine.

Any thoughts?

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.