I mostly-wasted a bunch of time investigating web sites and articles which
had schemes for diskless booting, and then discovered that the "picobsd"
manpage told me everything I needed to know (to set up a non-harddisk
filtering bridge booting off a floppy) in a staightforward, non-confusing
manner.

Maybe booting off a NIC could use a good description, I don't know, but
I suppose that there are very few people who will want to do that.