Mark Kane wrote:
Ariff Abdullah wrote:

These are my suggestions:
1) enable 'options PREEMPTION'. This is a MUST.
2) use SCHED_ULE instead of SCHED_4BSD. ULE is pretty stable on me,
   but I can't guarantee (especially combining with PREEMPTION).
   It doesn't hurt to give it a try.
3) Apply these patches:

http://staff.mybsd.org.my/skywizard/FreeBSD/sound/jroberson_flushbuf_RELENG_5.diff http://staff.mybsd.org.my/skywizard/FreeBSD/sound/snd_RELENG_5_20050825_035.diff

Well I added PREEMPTION to the kernel yesterday as well as the first patch by Jeff Robertson. Immediately upon kernelinstall and reboot I tried untarring Firefox and Thunderbird, as well as tarring them both back up. Not a single skip, stutter, or freezing of the mouse/display!

I did more testing last night like listening to audio with downloads open and encoding video, and I didn't hear one skip at all. The only time I heard a little static was when I was burning a DVD and listening to audio at the same time, but I can understand that.

Thanks to everyone who replied, this seems to be fixed for now. :)

-Mark

I do notice that when doing some things like using unrar to extract a file or loading a video into video encoding software I do get some of the same little crackles and static in the audio. I didn't notice this static/crackling ever before applying that first patch. I am still skip/stutter free though :).

Might the second patch help the crackling/static?

Thanks

-Mark