Well, I never really resolved this.  I later tried taring at a sh prompt.
Same deal.  I had tried manually chmoding the /mnt dir. To 777, but that
didn't help either.

In the end I gave up, and did a fresh install straight onto the CF drive
from the CD.  I did try a 6.0 beta3 install, but it kept crashing early in
the install process, so 5.4 it is (for the time being).

Cheers,

Paul