> On 8 Dec 2002, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
>> mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> > Hello. i use cvsup to backup certain critical folders on the machine
>> labs, to the machine labs2 automatically every night. My question is
>> this. If i add new stuff to say, /home/mike (or wherever) then that
>> gets mirrored at night and everything does its job as i want it to.
>> However, if i DELETE something from /home/mike (or whereever) It
>> never gets deleted from labs2. So its not "synching" correctly. For
>> example i just went to zip -r cvsup-backup cvsup-backup on labs2, so
>> i can pull it to XP and burn it, and i realized it had my library
>> still in there which i deleted months ago.
>>
>> cvsup isn't going to be very good at tracking which files have been
>> deleted on the original, unless you are pulling from a cvs repository
>> (that's where it keeps information on directory contents).  Otherwise,
>> it won't know whether a file has been deleted from the original
>> machine, or is a local modification on the duplicate.
>>
>> Given that you're not using cvs, you'd probably do better with rsync
>> for this job.  You could also use other tools that can keep metadata,
>> like dump(8) or even use the incremental facilities of Gnu tar.
>
> This is not accurate, as the cvsup CLIENT keeps directory information
> for the repository.  When the client is run, if a file has been added on
> the server, it will download it.
>
> If a file has changed on the server, it will use the rsync algorithm to
> synchronize the files.
>
> If the client is set to delete files, it will also delete any files that
> it has and which the server does not.
>
> I know because I use it at work to synchronize tens of thousands of
> images. Rsync works, but it does not scale very well.  I had to use
> cvsupd and cvsup because the memory usage of rsync would grow past 512
> MB and it would eventually core dump.
>
> Marco Radzinschi
> E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Sun Dec  8 22:13:51 EST 2002

Its true. I added
"*default delete"
 to my sup file, and i made a test dir ran it once, then i rm the test
folder, and ran it again. and it worked.
thanks to all that that could and did respond. Now i got a perfect backup
solution. I simply zip -r cvsup-backup on labs2 monthly or so and burn it
to cdr, and thats assuming some day BOTH of my freebsd servers go bad? i
think not..

--
-mike
[EMAIL PROTECTED]