On 31 Srpen 2005, 11:02, Ewald Jenisch napsal(a):

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a way to set an interface UP using /etc/rc.conf
> without giving the interface an IP-address (i.e. neither static nor DHCP)
>
> Background: The machine in question has three Ethernet-IFs - one
connects to the LAN (and has an IP-address) the other two are used for
monitoring traffic via ethereal only. For security reasons I don't want
to assign IP-addresses to the two "ethereal-only" interfaces - but I
need them "UP".

> Sure enough I can "up" these interfaces manually but I want them up at
boot-time.

> I've tried with entries like e.g.
>
> ifconfig_fxp1=""
> ifconfig_fxp1="UP"
>
> in my /etc/rc.conf - none of these work.
>

> So what should I configure in /etc/rc.conf in order to get the
> interfaces UP?
>
> BTW - ethereal only recognizes interfaces that are in the "UP" state.
>
> Thanks much in advance for any clue,
> -ewald

Hi, Ewald,

I'd try this:

ifconfig_fxp1="inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.255"

It's not exactly, what you ask for, but could help. I'm not able to test
it now, it's only an idea...

Pavel Jordak
ANF DATA, Prague