Okay,

I had a vinum RAID5 set working on 4.7. Since I didn't have any data on it yet and saw today's announcement of 5.0-RC1, I thought I'd give 5.0-RC1 a try on the box in question. Vinum sees the RAID5 set I created just fine, so I decided to use newfs to create a UFS2 filesystem on the volume. Call me an idiot, but I can't seem to figure out how to do this despite searching various FreeBSD mailing lists. It appears 5.0 no longer supports the -v option, so I assume vinum support is now built-in. Here's what I'm trying:

# newfs -O 2 -U /dev/vinum/raid5vol
newfs: /dev/vinum/raid5vol: 'e' partition is unavailable

That's funny. After reading around a bit, I wondered if perhaps some sort of disk label is now required on the vinum volume. However, no matter how I try using disklabel, disklabel complains about my attempts.

Here's my vinum setup:

drive d0 device /dev/ad0s1f
drive d1 device /dev/ad1s1f
drive d2 device /dev/ad2s1f
drive d3 device /dev/ad3s1f
volume raid5vol
plex name p5 org raid5 512s vol raid5vol
sd name sd0 drive d0 plex p5 len 232798208s
driveoffset 265s plexoffset 0s
sd name sd1 drive d1 plex p5 len 232798208s
driveoffset 265s plexoffset 512s
sd name sd2 drive d2 plex p5 len 232798208s
driveoffset 265s plexoffset 1024s
sd name sd3 drive d3 plex p5 len 232798208s
driveoffset 265s plexoffset 1536s

DEVFS shows:

/dev/vinum:
control
controld
plex:
p5
sd:
sd0
sd1
sd2
sd3
raid5vol

Disklabel /dev/vinum/raid5vol shows me:
type: Vinum
disk: vinum
label: radi
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 698394624
tracks/cylinder: 1
sectors/cylinder: 698394624
cylinders: 1
sectors/unit: 689394624
rpm: 14400
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0 # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0 # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

3 Partitions:
# size offset fstype [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
a: 698394624 0 4.2BSD 1024 8192 0 # (Cyl. 0 - 0)
b: 698394624 0 swap # (Cyl. 0 - 0)
c: 698394624 0 unused 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 - 0)

I tried editing it, setting a: to unused, size 0, removing b:, and creating e: just like a: as above. Of course disklabel complained about
a zero size, so I completely removed a:, then disklabel complained about e: being out of range a-c, so I renamed e: as a: and it seemed happy. At least until I double checked the data and a subsequent disklabel call showed that all my changes had been silently discarded and the above showd up anew. The "vinum label" command also appears useless, happily executing but changing nothing.

Now for the questions:

How does one create a new filesystem (UFS2 in particular) on a vinum volume in 5.0? Is some sort of label required?

Help!

Thanks!

Aaron out.