Thanks, Leonidas.

According to the FreeBSD Handbook, Chapter 26.5 you have to set the
following sysctl variables in order to enable bridging support:

net.link.ether.bridge.enable=1
net.link.ether.bridge.config=xl0,fxp0
net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw=1

The bridge.ko is loaded via /boot/loader.conf, and both
bridge.enabled and bridge.config are set via /etc/sysctl.conf

bridge_ipfw is set in my script that was shown in the original
e-mail.

dummynet.ko is also loaded via /boot/loader.conf.  I believe I
have all the necessary ko's loaded and configs set.  Otherwise,
the second pipe wouldnt have worked.

Also you must have recompiled your kernel to include "options BRIDGE".
(you can also load the bridge.ko module with "kldload bridge")

Yes, I loaded the ko at start-up.

This thing just seems strange to me.  Maybe there is something
about bridging that I don't understand.

Cheng