Ok, so I confirmed that the sound from my tv card is fed into the line in on my sound card. I set the recording source to line and adjusted the volume levels so that my mixer looks is thus:
Recording source: line
Mixer vol      is currently set to  50:50
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  51:51
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
Mixer line     is currently set to 100:100
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
Mixer rec      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer ogain    is currently set to  50:50
Mixer line1    is currently set to 100:100
Mixer phin     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer phout    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer video    is currently set to  75:75

With that, I can run motv and use sox to grab the audio from the VHS. But that still doesn't help me get both streams. I have tried transcode and nuvrec (as root) with absolutely NO AUDIO. I can't be the only one that has done this before! Just show me a working cmd, or point me to a mailing list where someone might actually know....PLEASE.