dick hoogendijk wrote:
I know it is off topic, but I trust you guys in this group to just
remember it.

I'm building an old msdos machine for a little kid (very nostalgic).
But I seem to rememeber that there was an issue about the space of the
harddrive. Some kind of limit I don't remember. How large can a ms-dos
partition be?

Per KB Article 118335
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q118335/

Microsoft MS-DOS versions 4.0 and later allow FDISK to partition hard disks up to 4 gigabytes (GB) in size. However, the MS-DOS file allocation table (FAT) file system can support only 2 GB per partition. Because of this fact, a hard disk between 2 and 4 GB in size must be broken down into multiple partitions, each of which does not exceed 2 GB.

FAT file system is limited to 65,525 clusters. The size of a cluster must be a power of 2 and less than 65,536 bytes--this results in a maximum cluster size of 32,768 bytes (32K). Multiplying the maximum number of clusters (65,525) by the maximum cluster size (32,768) equals 2 GB.

Note that the hard disk drive must be supported by the computer's ROM BIOS APIs, which have a 1024-cylinder limitation, in order for FDISK to partition the hard disk.

HTH

--
Regards,
Eric