On Sep 19, 2005, at 1:43 AM, K Anderson wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gloryjoy Ga-ang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 12:36 AM
Subject: freebsd for windows PC games

Hi

I am presently using windows XP as my OS using a LAN
and I want to switch to Freebsd, but I have a few
questions regarding the compatibility of the OS with
windows PC games? Can I still run those games even if
I am using the freebsd OS? If not, are there any more
alternatives to run those PC games, and can those
games run smoothly? (especially the multiplayer games)..

No. Well not really no, but something close to it.
There's a port called wine that allows you to run a limited set of Windows applications. There is also a subscription based version of wine that meets
with some success in running Windows applications.

The next thing would be vmware. That would allow you to have FreeBSD
installed then install a secondary OS within vmware and thus Windows runs
from that.

There were a couple other bits of software just previously mentioned either this week or the previous week, you could go through the archives of this
list.

Unless you use something like Cedega that's available through <http://transgaming.org/>, playing Windows games on any Unix OS is impossible anymore since the majority of Windows games no longer use straight OpenGL libraries (which can be run through Wine easily, like HL-1), but OpenGL through DirectX wrappers which are incompatible with Wine unless you have Cedega.
-Garrett