[sorry about the lack of subject line on original post]

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Ean Kingston wrote:

On September 19, 2005 01:57 pm, mailtrail wrote:

I needed a quick firewall to guard an ISDN line, so I grabbed a K6/166.
This box only came out of service a couple months ago, having run for
several years on 4.3-stable (set up some time in 2001).

The NIC card that is in it is an ISA bus card, a WD8003 (it was operating
as ed0 in its previous incarnation).  More for amusement than anything
else, I decided to use that card, if I could, with a recent version of
FreeBSD, so I loaded 5.4-R onto it.

I now realize that I no longer have any idea how to tell the kernel how to
find a non-PnP ISA card.

Here is the kernel.conf file from the old box:

   en ed0

Interface ed0 (someone correct me if I'm wrong it's been a while)

So the "en ed0" command above is something along the lines of setting up a symbol for the rest of the configuration commands? Or is it something along the lines of a CISCO IOS "interface fe0" command, that says the rest of the commands refer to fast ethernet 0?

   po ed0 0x300

Port to interface ed0 id 0x300 (bit of physical memory to access the nic)

   ir ed0 10

IRQ for ed0 is 10

   iom ed0 0xd8000

I/0 memory for ed0 0xd8000 (for direct memory access IIRC)

   f ed0 0

I forgot this one, sorry.

I'm guessing the "q" command is "quit", but I don't know if it means "don't pay attention to any further lines in this config file", or if it means "that's the end of configuring ed0". Does anyone remember?

I don't even remember what lines 1 and 5 mean.  How do I set IRQ, memory
address, etc for a non-PnP ISA card under 5.4-R, if that is even possible?
If not possible, is it supported under 4.11?

From a websearch it looks like the kernel config worked just about the
same at least as late as 4.9-R, but it seems that the only people using ISA cards these days are in places like the Czech Republic and other places where I can't read the web pages. I couldn't even find a reference to using an ISA card under 5.4. Anybody know how under 5.4-R?

This isn't critical by any means.  The motherboard has two open PCI slots
on it, so I could just use PCI NIC cards for the firewall, but I am
curious if the old cards can still be used.  I also have a second ISA NIC
card, a WD8013, so it would be somewhat amusing to have this box running a
firewall using those two old NIC cards.  The ISA bus should be able to
easily keep up with 128Kb of traffic; the old version of the box was a
mail- and web-server, and never had problems keeping up with ISDN speeds.