Kirk Strauser wrote:

I use an aging MX 400 in my desktop machine (FreeBSD 6.0something) and really, *really* want to upgrade to something that supports the RenderAccel option. This machine has become glacially slow since some as-yet-undetermined upgrade broken that functionality, but I'd ideally like to be able to use X.org's Composite extension as well so simple downgrading probably won't help.

Any suggestions for a cheap, well-supported card?
Have you checked the docs for the nvidia drivers? All geforce series should have full, or near full, hardware acceleration since nvidia releases there own closed source drivers.