On 28 Sep 2005, at 21:46, Beecher Rintoul wrote:

On Wednesday 28 September 2005 12:28 pm, eoghan wrote:

Hello
Im going to do a fresh install of 5.3 over the weekend, then id like
to upgrade to 5.4. My reasons for upgrading are: ill have to do it
some time or another and I cant always rely on having my trusty dvd
with me. So, the question is: what is the best way to do an upgrade?
I figure ill do the install, make sure its all ok, and before I go
ahead and install anything ill upgrade. I did hear people say that
using the sysinstall isnt the way to go - maybe or maybe not? So any
opinions here on how it should be done would be appreciated.

To save yourself some time, just boot from your disk change the tag in the options screen to 5.4-RELEASE and do a net install. No need to start from
5.3.

Beech

Thanks for your advice. and thank you Derrick. I will read into those articles. Mike, the main reason is just so I can learn how to do it. Im using freebsd on my other computer only to learn it.
Thanks all
Eoghan